happy. fucking. new. year.
like many, i waited anxiously for 2016 to wrap up. it was a tough year for a lot of people—i get it.
i’ve been hopeful. i’ve been excited.
but four days into the new year and people are still… whiny.
i mean, i understand that nothing changes overnight. i know that change is a process. i know that the problems that were still looming on december 31st didn’t disappear after the countdown.
but the start of a new year is full of opportunities—fresh perspectives, new ideas, clean slates.
admittedly, i have trouble with things i can’t control. it’s just my nature. when life throws curve balls i’m not ready for, i struggle. but i do try to focus on one simple idea:
“what we see depends mainly on what we look for.”
― john lubbock
essentially, while we can’t control what happens, we can control how we deal with it. so buck up, people. don’t get “stuck on bullshit“, get “stuck on potential“.
even more, surround yourself with it. make sure the company you keep and the people you spend your time with are present and have intentions of pouring love and positivity into your life. comisery is a real thing—let people lift you up and not bring you down.
there’s good out there—look for it. and when you find it, embrace it.
on that note, here are seventeen of my wishes for ’17:
- buy a freestanding heavy bag (and use it)
- get the leak under my kitchen sink fixed
- visit my family in hawaii
- buy a new car
- don’t “lend” anyone money 😛
- take a trip by myself (to a place that’s NOT chicago)
- put a stamp in my passport
- annual physical shows my lifestyle changes have helped
- don’t have to buy a single item of clothing this year that is a larger size 😉
- leave pandora’s box shut 😕
- let go of regrets
- take (at least) one risk i wouldn’t have in 2016
- make up with my brother
- take drum lessons
- see a broadway show in NYC
- do more of what makes me happy
- keep writing (for my blog and… my side project)